Monday, July 12, 2010

"You are only as old as you think you are"

“I don’t pretend to know what love is for everyone, but I can tell you what it is for me; love is knowing all about someone, and still wanting to be with them more than any other person, love is trusting them enough to tell them everything about yourself, including the things you might be ashamed of, love is feeling comfortable and safe with someone, but still getting weak knees when they walk into a room and smile at you.” Nick Sparks








While I have been getting up so early, on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I meet two other women to run. It is so great to have them to run with!

On those days, since I am done with running by 7, I go and meet my Grandfather at McDonalds with a group of his old friends. These friends of his are so wonderful to talk to. They are full of insight and advice, and eager to talk and ask me questions about life now for a young adult.

There is a couple there that is faithful to come every day they meet. Today, they were asking me about who I was dating and if he was a gentlemen...etc etc. The woman looked at me and said, "Honey, you honestly have to follow your heart, there is no other choice. My love came and picked me up off a corner of a street, literally." At first, I was almost in laughter, but I have to remember that she probably wasn't a woman who earned her living off the corner of a street, she meant something completely different. She told me the story right after that comment. She was meaning that one day, she was waiting on the street car and it wasn't coming fast enough, she said she looked distressed and a random car pulled up. She was scared at first until she said that the young man was around her age and told her, "Hey young lady, I'll take you where you need to go." Well, with the era she lived in, this was totally acceptable. She said she got in the car, and 63 years later, they have never been apart. As I am tearing up, I glance at the man whom she calls her husband. He was hunkered over in the chair, eating breakfast. He looked to be hardened and happy at the same time. She looked at me and said, "We are 96 and 95, but not a day over 60." I thought oh my word, you would never know. They are together in this race we call life. Through their illnesses, ageing, and life changing moments, they are together.

A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken. Ecclesiastes 4:12

The man across the table commented, "You are only as old as you think you are!" All of them cracked up, but for me I thought how true that statement is.

:)




No comments:

Post a Comment